Patients who undergo obesity surgery are encouraged into changing their nutritional lifestyles and exercise at least 3 times a week. Patients are also encouraged into positive thinking and patience because this is a step by step procedure and needs a lot of physical and emotional effort to achieve the desired results.
Having this in mind the consultant will provide the patient with nutritional advice that is important to follow, for the better and faster healing of the digestive system operated.
Some of the main nutritional post-surgical advice is mentioned as follows:
- Liquids such as soup, milk and juice are advised to consume for at least the first week.
- After the first week of liquid consumption, pureed food is advised to eat such as pudding, potatoes, pees, yogurt etc. for 2 weeks.
- After the adaptation period of eating liquid and pureed food the patient can eat solid forms of food and is advised to chew thoroughly and slowly.
- Avoid drinking water while eating because of feeling full before consuming enough food.
- Carbonated drinks and alcohol are not allowed.
- Sweets and desserts are best avoided.
- Snaking between the three main meals is encouraged right after surgery but in the long term should be avoided.